Berkey Systems with Ceramic Super Sterasyl Filters
Berkey Water Filter Systems come with two filter options. The 'Super Sterasyl' ceramic filter was originally the only option, until the 'Black Berkey' filter was introduced. Scroll down below the products to learn more about the both types of filters. The products featured on this page all have 'Super Sterasyl' ceramic filters. 911water recommends that you select Berkey systems with Black Berkey filters, but we understand the for various reasons some customers may prefer the 'Super Sterasyl' ceramic filters, so we offer them for your convenience.
Black Berkey Filters Compared to Super Sterasyl Filters
In order to make a decision about which filters you should select, please read the following information.
About the Black Berkey Filter
The unique Berkey® design combines micro-porous filtration, proprietary state-of-the-art technology and the highest quality materials to bring you a filter capable of delivering water considered to be not just filtered but purified according to EPA definition.
- The micro-pores within the self-sterilizing and re-cleanable Black Berkey® purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
- The media within the elements remove contaminants by a surface phenomenon known as “adsorption” which results from the molecular attraction of substances to the surface of the media. The exclusive purification elements are also impregnated with proprietary “absorbing” media that promote IONIC “absorption” of pollutants within the micro-porous elements.
- Another reason Berkey® systems are so effective in removing contaminants from water is the extremely long “contact period”. Other filtration systems rely on water pressure that forces water molecules through the filter elements at 60-90 PSI. These water molecules come into contact with the filter media for a mere fraction of a second. By comparison water molecules, passing through the “Tortuous Path” structure of the Black Berkey® purification elements, are drawn gently by gravity and stay in contact with the media for a long period of time. This allows the filter media to be more efficient in capturing contaminates.
This advanced technology was developed, refined, and proven through years of diligent, investigative research and testing performed by water purification specialists, researchers and engineers. The flow rate or time of exposure through the exclusive Black Berkey® purification elements has been calculated to yield the greatest volume removal of toxic chemicals and pathogenic bacteria found in nature and caused by pollution from industry and agriculture.
II. The Super Sterasyl Ceramic Filter
A technology first developed one hundred and forty years ago by Henry Doultan of England forms the basis for these filters elements. Henry Doultan began the use of high-fired ceramics as a method of filtering pathogenic microbes in England during the great Cholera outbreaks during the eighteen hundreds. This basic technology was refined and improved with the addition of additional filtering mediums
- At the core of the sub-micron ceramic filter is the most basic of elements – Earth. The type of earth use makes all the difference. The Super Sterasyl filter uses Diatomaceous Earth (DE), a fossil substance that is made up of very small silicon shells left by countless microscopic, one-celled algae called diatoms. The microscopic pores of each ceramic filter make it an extremely efficient filter for the removal of particulate matter and fine sediment from water. Included in the particulate matter are the microbial pathogens that can raise havoc with our bodies.
- The Super Sterasyl element utilizes the latest technological advances of ceramic filtration by incorporating pure silver, impregnated into the porous inner ceramic shell. This prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi that would otherwise contaminate the filter.
- The Super Sterasyl ceramic filter element contains an activated carbon filling. This removes chemical and organic compounds from the water while also improving the taste.
Which Filter Should You Choose
There are several factors to consider when selecting the filter that is right for you.
- Price – The Models using the Super Sterasyl filters are your least expensive choice.
- Longevity – Both Black Berkey and Super Sterasyl elements have about the same length of filter life, all other things being equal.
- Efficiency – According to the manufacturers test results the Black Berkey does a better job of filtering contaminants than the Super Sterasyl filter. (see test results) Link
- Durability– Both the Back Berkey and Super Sterasyl filters are equally reliable in terms of durability.
- Manufacturers –
- Field Testing – The Super Sterasyl filter has been on the market for more years than the Black Berkey. Both filters are used by private and public organizations such as the Red Cross, Unicef, The Peace Corps as well as by missions groups and families throughout the world.
- Laboratory Testing
The Super Sterasyl filter
Laboratories and Certifications
- The British Standard 5750
- The World Health Organization
- Department of Health (Toronto, Ontario)
- Water Research Council (London, England)
- University of Arizona (USA)
- Spectrum Labs (Minneapolis, USA)
- WRC (Buckingham Shire, England)
- National Sanitation Foundation (Standards 42 & 53, USA)
- Hyder Labs, Cheshire England
- Loughborough University, England
- Thresh, Beale & Suckling Laboratories, England.
- Clare Microbiological Laboratories, England
- Severn Trent Laboratories, England
- And Many Other Independent Laboratories Worldwide
The Black Berkey filter
tested by the following state and EPA accredited laboratories:
- University of Arizona
- Spectrum Labs
- Meets or exceeds the EPA’ stringent “7 log” (99.99999%} contaminant reduction specification
If price is an issue than we suggest you purchase one of the models using the Super Sterasyl filters.
Black Berkey filters are sometimes on backorder, so if you need your filter system now, we recommend the Super Sterasyl filter.
If you are looking for the highest water quality we suggest you purchase one of the units with Black Berkey filters.
With either unit you will get excellent value and safe clean, fresh-tasting drinking water, everyday and in an emergency.